Saturday, 17 June 2017

Hampdens Greencoats.

This weeks output has been most of a Green coated Regiment of Foot. 20 musketeers in two 10 figure sub units, 8 pikemen, 2 standard bearers and a mounted general. I say' most' of the unit as I will add an additional 4 pikemen to form a third rank, plus an officer once my latest order arrives from Hinds Figures. On the subject of command figures I have decided to re jig things a bit and rather than integrating command (officer, standard bearer and drummer) into the units I will have a separate 3 figure command bases for each foot unit that can stand in front of the pike block and is essentially a non combatant base, that's how my units were formed originally and once the block came to 'push of pike' the command stand was simply removed to the rear. So once completed Hampdens will consist of an impressive 35 figures:

  • 12 pikemen in 3 ranks of 4.
  • 2 wings of 10 musketeers
  • 3 figure command base.
Essex's Regiment will get the same treatment, with 12 pikes and 16 muskets plus 3 command. Other units will have more or less figures, the largest will consist of 15 pikes (3 ranks of 5) and 24 muskets! It's worth bearing in mind here that under the WRG rules each sub unit fights individually rather than as a whole as in for example Forlorn Hope rules, and that the ration of 1 figure = 20 men makes for larger units which look good on the table and is as seen in the 'Edgehill' version of the Battleground series.

I bought a copy of Forlorn Hope rules this week from Caliver books, mainly for the wealth of background information it contains, and mentioned the blog to Dave Ryan whom I knew many years ago in Sealed Knot days when he was a member of Samuel Jones' Regiment and I was a pikeman in the 'Blew' Regiment of the London Trained Bands, and he said the Hinchliffe 'Ironsides' were one of his favourite ECW figures and I have to agree. I retain fond memories of those days, in my first battle I recall being lifted from the ground during a push of pike and barely able to breathe in the crush until Newcastles Regiment eventually won the push and we went down in a heap of armoured bodies. I was black and blue with bruises for days afterwards, all good fun!

I'm in the process of adding more blogs to my list here, and have just added the 'Glorious Little Soldiers' blog. Andy Copestake (he of 'Old Glory') is the owner of many units previously owned by Peter Gilder and a look through under the ECW label reveals many pictures of these wonderful old units.

Next up, while I await the arrival of my latest order, will be an 8 figure horse unit, just a couple of troops worth but it's the last of my current cavalry figures. I do have some 'commanded musketeers' to do, I'm using ECW33 for these plus an officer, they are carrying firelocks without rests of course and will add some variety.

This weeks output.












11 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Lee, I particularly like the commander!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic and classy, 'Lee. Crikey, I remember those musketeers. Festooned like Christmas trees.

    I was so woefully ignorant of how to paint them that my Lobsters had stripey red and white arms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I recall the stripey red and white arms on some of Peter Gilders figures too!

      Delete
  3. Nice work - you're doing better than me at turning out units! Any chance of a size comparison with Tumbling Dice if you have any of them left around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I'm finding these figures remarkably quick to paint! I don't have any TD figures here, but I'll take a pic of a Hinchliffe figure against a ruler if that would help. I recall the TD figures seemed rather large 20mm and Hinchliffe are true 25mm scale, not the monster 28/30mm of today. For a true comparison I could send you a couple of spares?

      Delete
    2. Lee - against a ruler would be good.. but if you have any 20mm's about the place it would still give an idea of the size difference - if any..

      Delete
  4. Lee - you certainly do turn them out A unit a week I can barely manage a figure in a week- well maybe two or 3 ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy, It all came flooding back to me, I know exactly where to put the paint! I'm avoiding buff coats on the musketeers this time round but aside from that it's pretty much the same.

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of figures, painted and based in a week! They look great.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Iain, really glad you have joined me here and the rules are a true nostalgia trip so thank you :)

      Delete