Thursday, 27 July 2017

More artillery, Generals & basing.

I have reached the point of what I might term 'End of Phase 1' of this project, having just finished off more artillery and painted up a couple of command bases. I have this week also been focusing on trying to improve the look of my infantry bases and took the decision to edge the pike and musket bases as seen in the previous post. The result is as shown below, a little chunky but overall very practical for moving large units, I have to say that I'm still not 100% happy with the finish, they are quite bright, but I'm sticking with it and determined not to get into flocks and static grass for this project.

The new multi figure bases.



The artillery features two Sakers (Medium guns) and two huge Cannon Royale (heavy guns), lovely little models and as I was reminded by Roy recently, the guns were designed by Frank Hinchliffe himself. The crew are the classic Hinchliffe figures, as good today as I remember them all those years ago. Under WRG rules the main advantage of the bigger guns is range, artillery being not very effective at all. I have considered building the wonderful contraption used in the 'Battleground' Edgehill battle HERE (fast forward to 7:00 minutes to see it in use), with it's roll for bounce and roll for 'windage', it looks great fun but somewhat cumbersome to use. The eight figure unit 'Firelocks of the Artillery Train Guard' demonstrates the new style bases too.








As I like circular command bases I indulged myself in a couple, again resisting temptation to dress them up beyond a couple of cork 'rocks' that still require a final highlight. The flag is by Warlord, as supplied in their box sets, they have lovely deep colour saturation but crack like anything if you attempt to 'wave' them. I bit of patience with this one was rewarded, it is of course based upon the Royal Standard. The mounted Generals are of course Hinchliffe and the two foot figures are both old Garrison figures that I have acquired along the way.








6 comments:

  1. The command bases are great! Don't worry about the green, it may look bright close up but I think it will really show off the troops on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian - I'm sticking with the brighter green as it's more 'retro' style, this was how my first ECW collection was based.

      Delete
  2. I like the bases! It may be partly a reflection that where I live, here, in the spring and early summer, the pastures and fields are very bright and mottled light/medium green with spots of flowers (dandelions esp) and so look very much like this. I think it also helps show off the figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ross - it's just taken a bit of getting used to I think, but I like it now!

      Delete
  3. Love the bases, they look great and apt! Command stands have turned out really well.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian - using filler was more work than my usual flock and static grass, but I think it's been worth the effort. I do need to find a suitable sealant though.

      Delete

Comment moderation is now set on. Please bear with me, your comment will be published once I have seen it. Thank you.