Sunday, 4 June 2017

Cavalry progress.

As mentioned in my last post I found myself with a fair bit of free time on my hands this last week as the family were spending a few days in Brighton and the house was quiet. I'm not one to normally set myself painting targets preferring to paint when I feel in the mood for it, but I decided that I wanted to give the project a kick start by getting a couple of regiments of horse finished before I plough into more foot figures. I selected the figures to comprise the units from the basic 'charging' poses together with a few of the pistol armed poses and with a bit of bending of weapon arms and twisting of heads managed to create two quite dynamic units. A word about the description of the formations of horse, I tend to think in terms of 'troops' as I recall most period accounts refer to the number of troops of Horse rather than Regiments. As in the WRG rules 1 figure represents 20 men I consider an average troop of horse to be 3 to 4 figures, so these two units represent around 200 men each.

Riders were painted separately which really speeded up the time spent painting the horses, I selected the basic tones and used a large fairly dry brush to put down a base coat, painting right over the straps etc. I then mixed a highlight colour for each of the base tones and went back working more carefully before painting in the harness etc with a dark black/brown, it really was a quick method, much faster and easier than my usual method. I will need to add reins to some of the horses, possibly from fuse wire or solder hammered flat and applied with superglue for that final 'Gilderesque' touch. Despite a heavy coat of satin varnish some of the paintwork was scratched whilst applying the riders, so I went back through them again and added a slightly lighter highlight to some whilst touching up the damage.

Bases were cut by hand from card, just as I did 30 years ago! THey were then textured with a mix of good old filler and water with PVA added and a couple of spoons of fine sand. Once fully dry they were painted with a thin coat of Vallejo Olive Green and then carefully dry brushed with yellow. I was keen to keep the overall appearance quite bright and clean looking and I would say I'm happy with things and will keep this theme running through the collection as it grows and develops. The pikemen got the same treatment and I painted a couple more to bring the block strength (including two standard bearers) up to 12 figures, the three ranks giving an impression of depth that looks about right. The officer and drummer will be incorporated into the musket blocks, just two figures deep, for this regiment there will be two wings of 8 figures each, but future Regiments will vary in size with possibly 15 pikes and 20 muskets or so, some will be smaller too. This is the 1642 period and my armies have not yet attained that ideal pike to musket ratio.

So the results of this weeks painting is two units of Royalist horse, both predominately red in theme. Note that on the few of charging figures in hats (ECWC 6), I should have painted doublets rather than buff coats, this was a mistake I must confess, only noticed afterwards, but I'll let them go and correct it for future figures, I really don't want to try to over paint these now!

I have the first 8 musketeers undercoated for the week ahead and might also paint the Prince Rupert and dog model that is already based as I used it to test the shades of green and yellow.
















7 comments:

  1. Nice to see your painted troops. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allan. I have added your blog to my list here, it's very good indeed :)

      Delete
  2. Great work Lee, you've certainly captured the old school look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, I'm pleased with the basing.

      Delete
  3. These are super, 'Lee. I wish I'd been able to achieve this back in the earlies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I think the remoulded castings are a big help.

      Delete
  4. I love the look of these! Your painting suits and compliments the figures perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

I have disabled comment moderation as I was losing losing some genuine comments to my Spam folder. I shall see how this goes.